Monday, August 12, 2013

An Open Letter to my Mother

Dear Mom:

There are so many times--now that I have my own little girl--that I have thought about you with fresh appreciation, knowing a little better the ways you've taken care of me through the years.

And I don't just mean the routine work of changing diapers, fixing meals, and doing laundry (although that is huge!). I realize that one of the most important acts of service you've shown me was being willing to put those tasks on hold just so you could be with your children. Thank you for not being too busy providing for our physical needs to spend time speaking to our souls.

Even still, when I visit, I know you will just sit on the couch and listen (or talk!) for as long as I need you. In a world where it seems like everyone is hurrying and scurrying, this means a lot. 

I was always a little worried that once I had your first grandchild, I might need to take the backseat for awhile... that now your attention would be on a precious little one, and I would need to get out of the way. But to my relief, when you showed up at the hospital after Rosie was born, you saw me first. And you smiled at me with a love that I knew would have traveled any distance even if there wasn't a new baby, too. 

And the first time you left after Rosie was born? I will never forget the way you explained to me that you knew it would be hard to leave your grandchild, but you hadn't expected it to be so hard to leave me, too. And then we cried together on a park bench like mother, like daughter... while dad ran away from the female emotions as fast as he could! :)

You have modeled for me a gentle and quiet spirit: calmness even when things are falling apart, submission to authority even when you may not agree or understand, and self-control to simply do life's plain, common work without complaining or grumbling. 

After I had Rosie, you have encouraged me to be a better mom not by having more "me time" but by having more God time. You made sure I knew the importance of daily studying the Word, even now that time is so precious. And your prayers with me while we are together, and your prayers for me when we are apart... that has given me such strength and confidence. I know that whenever I text or call to ask for prayers, you will respond, "I've already been praying for you today!" Thank you for your example.

I hope I can be to Rosie what you have been to me. 

Love,
Julianne