Thursday, June 9, 2011

Reflections on Marriage



June 18th will be my and Jady's one-year anniversary. (I can hardly believe that!)

One year ago, I had no idea how wonderful marriage could be. I can't really put into words what my husband means to me without breaking down and crying tears of gratitude. He inspires me to be better: to live more courageously, to seek God more fervently, to sacrifice more readily, and to give thanks more frequently.

As much as feminism would disagree, I am not designed to be independent. I need someone to help me. And Jady does. He prays with me and for me; he encourages me when I am down; he is my voice of reason in emotional times; he is my constant companion; he makes the most boring tasks the most fun; he makes me laugh like no one else can; he helps me carry heavy loads of laundry to the basement; he understands my quirks and makes provision for my sanity; he gently reminds me of priorities I've procrastinated tending to; he knows my limits and is willing to suffer loss for my gain; he corrects me with love and patience; he listens to me and listens to me and listens to me; he is willing (and grateful) to eat anything I put on his plate; he provides such stability yet also spontaneity to my life; he is responsible and manages things so well and leads with such humility and thoughtfulness; he not only knows my needs but can predict them.

He is the man of my dreams. I couldn't even ask or imagine a better husband. I only wish I got to spend all day every day with him!  

Of course he's not perfect; but he's perfect for me. And our challenges and frustrations provide opportunities for us to grow and learn even more about each other. A perfect husband would make me feel awful, because I'm certainly nowhere near perfect! I now see that our weaknesses and strengths are part of a beautiful balance in marriage, where each person is serving the other. How would we know the power of forgiveness if we never made mistakes? How would "I love you" mean very much if we never acted in unloveable ways? This is why he is the man of my dreams: not because of the shining armor, but because I see his heart beneath the armor and it beats for his Creator.         

I'm not sure what God has in store for our future--where we may live, what our family may grow into, or the work we'll be doing--but I know Who holds the future, and I know who holds my hand.